Sunday, April 30, 2006

To chase or not to chase...


Police chases, do you think they should be outlawed? I do. The first chase I remember vividly occurred when I was a teenager. A trooper chased a car through my home town (population 500). I remember hearing the sirens and seeing the two cars fly by my street. Very soon after, the trooper car sirens ended and the fire siren rang. It turns out the young man being chased lost control and wrapped his car around a telephone pole on the outskirts of town, he died instantly. I'll never forget both how scared I was and how relieved I was that no innocent bystanders were injured or killed in the "chase". I don't remember what he was being chased for, but probably speeding. Clearly not worth dying over!

Early this week in nearby small town, a young trooper driving a marked police car (a Chevy Tahoe) decided to chase after a young man on a Japanese motorcycle. The road is hilly, windy, and alot of fun to ride on a motorcycle. As the trooper approached the village's 30MPH speed zone (at approx 100MPH) he lost control, hit a tree, and died instantly. Was this speeding motorcycle worth dying over? Realistically, the trooper never had a chance of catching the motorcycle, whose speed and handling allowed its rider to easily out maneuver the tahoe. Area residents are outraged and seem to think the young man on the motercycle should be guilty of murder. I believe that he's guilty of speeding and evading police, but he's not guilty of manslaughter. The trooper made a really poor judgement call and thankfully didn't hurt anyone else when he crashed. The outcome of this chase could have been MUCH worse. High speed chases should be against the law. Cops should use the technology available today to help each other apprehend the law breakers, they should not use their vehicles as bullets.

No comments: