Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Bird Nest mystery


Monica, my friend who watches my critters when I travel, told me about a nest out back of my house. I wasn't surprised to hear that she found a nest, I have them around the yard every Spring. This nest is very peculiar though. You see, it has 4 blue eggs and 1 speckled egg. Don't you find that bizarre? I have never heard or seen such a thing and the momma is sitting on all 5. If you have any ideas or data on this please let me know. Oh, and don't forget to check out the Kodak Birdcam, the 5 baby peregrine falcons have hatched are are cute white bundles right now. It's hard to believe they will be gone around the 4th of July.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've been reading quite a bit about how cowbirds will insert their eggs in another bird's nest. The cowbird could be a danger to the other nestlings and it might be best to remove it.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/BOW/BNHCOW/ - contains picture of cowbird eggs

http://realindy.com/cowbird.htm - Since cowbird eggs hatch more quickly than most host eggs and smaller birds are the most frequent targets, baby cowbirds are usually much larger than the host’s own babies. When possible, the baby cowbird tosses at least one of the host’s young out of the nest, thus ensuring it will get more food

There are three eyasses in the Kodak nest this year. Six eggs laid, one did not hatch, two eyasses died.